Friday 8 December 2006

9 A community blog?

This blog has been an adventure! When I started I did not know where it was going but I am now clearer about what I am trying to do. I am finding my voice! I have been exploring "What Blogs are for" and "How Blogs are created". I wanted to find out the difference between a Blog and a Discussion Forum.

The book that I was recommended arrived today by the morning post. I received it within 36 hours which was not bad for December although Amazon had promised it in less than a day. I think that I have found the answer in this book which is called Blogwild.

The book suggests that Blogs are diaries which can be read by the public. In a blog you will experience the running commentary and thoughts of one person or of a small group of people. In a discussion forum, you will see more of a content free-for-all. Anyone can start a new topic.

I have seen how the popularity of blogs is growing very fast and more and more different sorts of blogs are being created. I had an interesting comment on my second post from the editor of the Fishbourne Book.

She writes that "Readers may like to know that this is a local history of Fishbourne village over the past hundred years told mainly through memories. It include notable people associated with the village, the local geology and natural history and its industrial past.

The history of Fishbourne reflects that of many another English village in the twentieth century. What makes it different, of course, is the presence of the world famous Fishbourne Roman Palace. The mosaic of the Dolphin has become very well known.

The initial print run is almost sold out and we now have to consider what next with regard to The Fishbourne Book itself and also to any further stories, memories and photos that come to light in response." She asks whether blogging could be a possibility?

As I have reflected upon the blogs that I have found on the web during the last week, I have been wondering how blogging will develop. There are now many web sites for clubs, societies, churches, village halls and other local groups, but do they have any readers? When such organisations create their blogs alongside their web sites, will they not then have writers as well as readers?

The web is changing week by week and blogging by the general public is still relatively new. I recall how not long ago the BBC invited listeners to phone in, without expecting that listeners would have anything of interest to say. Phone ins are now very popular. Will people have anything of interest to say within their community groups?

No comments: