Saturday 9 December 2006

10. What have I learned?

This may be my last post for 2006. I have managed to write one post for each of the last ten days and do not expect to continue this blog until the New Year.

One of my aims has been to describe my first steps in writing a blog. It was inevitable that I would make mistakes and reach some dead ends. I have learned a lot from my mistakes and I am now able to reflect upon the progress that I have made.

I have learned a lot from my new book Blogwild - 70000 new blogs and more than a milion posts are created each day- "blog" was the word of the year in 2004- blogs are used to try out new ideas - blogs create a greater sense of trust than traditional media. Blogs offer fresh content on a regular basis, they present an informal voice that visitors can respond to and to get to know and they provide useful information via links.

I have therefore used some of these ideas to tidy up my blog. I have added labels (or tags) so that you can find the posts on a particular topic and I have added links so that you can move away from my blog into the rest of the web.

As one of a million bloggers, I have tried to find out what is going on out there in the blogging community. I thought that the main news providers would now be among the most prominent Blog providers and so I have been looking at the BBC Blog site

On the BBC site, there are personal blogs for example by Nick Robinson, the BBC political correspondent, some of my favourites are Island Blogs where only the islanders are allowed to make posts and then there are the enormous blogs for popular subjects like Gardening with hundeds of participants. Above is a seal pup on the island of Sanday in the Orkneys, posted by one of the Sanday bloggers.

Start at the BBC Blog site and I hope that you will have as interesting a journey as I have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geoffrey,

I think you have "taken the bull by the horns" and found out at first hand what blogging is all about - the only way to become an expert.

In only ten days there has been good content, some useful links and many excellent photographs.

It would no doubt be encouraging to get more feedback, and perhaps the struggle to get readers is where the democracy of blogging and the internet in general can break down. There is so much to look at, and only 24 hours in each day to look - and even less time for all those who are busy creating content of their own.

Perhaps you will be tempted to add further entries when time allows and the mood takes you. I hope so.

Looking forward to the talk,

Paul Anonymous